Tattnall Square Park

c. 1854

In 1854 the General Assembly of Georgia granted to the City of Macon for public use the land now known as Tatnall Square Park. In 1871 the first “street railway” ran from Cherry Street to the Park. In 1911 and again in 1919, the property was offered as a site for the State Capitol of Georgia, but it remained in Atlanta. The original layout of the park featured a large cast iron fountain at it center with paths radiating out to the edges of the park. A large wading pool was located near Coleman Avenue. Mature specimen trees provide shade from the summer heat.

 


rdm_08.png