851 Orange Terrace

19th - 20th century

Mount de Sales Academy was established in 1876 by the Sisters of Mercy and chartered as a junior college affiliated with Pio Nono College. It is located on property formerly owned by Governor George Towns (1847-1851) and Simri Rose, for whom Rose Hill Cemetery is named. The original structure was demolished in 1910 and new buildings were added. Further expansion occurred over the years to accommodate a growing student population. Mount de Sales became coeducational in 1958. It was the first integrated high school in Macon in 1963.

 


rdm_07.png