753 College St - St Pauls Episcopal Church

Gothic Romanesque Style | c. 1884

The first St. Paul’s Episcopal Church building was located west of the present building in a former brick railroad car shed near the tracks formerly used by the Atlanta and Western Railroad. That site is now occupied by St. Paul’s Apartments. Bricks and the round stained glass window from the original building were incorporated into the present church building which was designed by architect John J. Nevitt of Savannah, Ga. Two documented Tiffany glass memorial windows are located on either side of the altar. The rectory, built, c. 1910, is located to left of the church. Next to the rectory is the parish house, formerly the Appleton Church Home, built c. 1870 as a home for Civil War Orphans and named in honor of William H. Appleton, a New York publisher, who donated $12,500 for its construction. The church acquired the building in 1925 when the children were moved to larger quarters on Forest Hill Avenue.

 


rdm_01.png